Fire Your Clients, You Can't Grow Unless You Specialize As A Consultant (Webinar Summary March 2021)
Back in March 2021, I hosted a webinar titled Fire Your Clients: You Can't Grow Unless You Specialize As a Consultant.
The goal of this free webinar was to provide consultants with a step-by-step guide to growing their consulting business by narrowing down the scope of their work.
Generalists do not have a promising future. It's a race to the bottom. Specialists will be the ones in demand, charging premium fees, and growing their consulting business organically.
If you didn't have a chance to attend the webinar, I've put together the resources that you can still benefit from:
1. Access to slides and the recording
- Download the slides here
- Watch the recording below
2. Here's a short summary of what I talked about
- Always saying YES gets consultants in the Vicious-Loop-To-Hell
- Specialization means: I) a narrow focus of your consulting work
- Specialization means: II) specific audience, specific pains, specific pain resolution, specific process, specific thought leadership
- Evolve from ‘doing activities for your clients’ to ‘doing a pain-resolving transformation for your client’ (creating a value proposition)
- Narrow focus requires courage and discipline
- Move from generalist to specialist step-by-step, using lean principles
3. These were the books I referred to
(the hyperlinks are referring to summaries of those books in my book blogs)
- 'The Business of Expertise', by David C. Baker
- 'Win Without Pitching', by Blair Enns
- 'Value Proposition Design', by Alex Osterwalder & Co
- I Never Had To Sell, Persuade Or Negotiate To Grow My Consulting Business
- 10 Consulting Trends for 2021
- 9 Things My Highly Successful Consulting Clients Started Doing
- Why You Should Share Your Expertise To Grow Your Consulting Business
- Want To Be A Furiously Successful Consultant? Put All Your Eggs In One Basked
- Get Through The Boredom Of Repetition To Grow Your Consulting Business
- My business runs on the Hubspot platform
- I used Zoom, the webinar solution (is not the meeting solution)
- My sketches were made with the Notability app on my iPad
- Here's access to the latest version of my newsletter
And if you haven't done already, subscribe for the next free webinar. Learn from what I learned in the past decade. See you soon in the webinar!
Hello, I’m Luk Smeyers and I’m guiding consultants through the journey of growing their business by helping them transform into visible authorities. I have been in consulting businesses for almost 20 years, in very different roles: as European CHRO in a global consultancy, as a startup founder in an analytics consultancy, and as a leader in a 'Big 4' consultancy, post-acquisition of the startup. I had the privilege of achieving global visibility as a consultant and I never had to sell, persuade, or negotiate as a result. I have now bundled all those experiences, expertise, know-how, research, reading, successes, struggles, and failures from managing and growing that visibility in the past years.