The Most Important, Life-Changing Skills to Master as a Consultant (Webinar Summary May 2021)
On the 12th of May, 2021, I hosted the third webinar in my series titled The Most Important, Life-Changing Skills to Master as a Consultant.
My goal was to share the knowledge I've acquired over a couple of decades - much of it through trial-and-error - and help consultants be better equipped to compete in the market. Consulting is a credence business. Prospects need to trust us before they buy. In this webinar, I introduce the success pillars in consulting and the three skills needed to build the foundation.
If you didn't have a chance to attend the webinar, I've put together the resources that you can still benefit from:
1. Access to slides and the recording
- Download the slides here
- Watch the recording below
2. Here's a short summary of what I talked about
- There are endless consulting opportunities out there!
- 3 Trends you need to understand:
- digital business development
- 90/80 (90% of buyers will check you out, 80% get deselected immediately–no trust)
- 60” (you only get 60” – or less - to show an abundance of trust)
- There’s a big gap: the trends in consulting vs. the reality of what I am seeing
- The 2 taxes you will pay of you can't close the gap:
- The ‘vicious loop to hell’ tax (no focus leading to uncertain future)
- The ‘getting stuck in the default consulting model’ tax (the need to
chase your clients because they don’t see you as THE expert)
- Unfocused? The laws of marketing won’t work!
- 3 Skills you will need in the future:
1. Courage & Mindset to focus (saying no to non-ideal prospects)
2. Develop an Outside-In View (getting in the head of your buyer)
3. Value Proposition Design (specific audience, specific pain, specific pain resolution)
3. These were the books I referred to during the webinar
(the hyperlinks are referring to summaries of those books in my book blogs)
- 'Value Proposition Design' by Alex Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur, Greg Bernarda, and Alan Smith
4. These were the articles/resources I referred to
- The resources from the previous webinar: 'If you don't like selling in consulting, you're doing it the wrong way'.
- My article explaining I never had to sell, persuade or negotiate as a consultant
- My article explaining why I openly shared all my learnings in the past decade
5. This was the technology I used (disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with these applications at all)
- My business runs on the Hubspot platform
- I used Zoom, the webinar solution (is not the meeting solution)
- My sketches were made with the Notability app on my iPad
- The Miro Co-Creation board I use for my virtual workshops
6. My newsletter I talked about
- Here's access to the latest version of my newsletter
And if you haven't done already, subscribe for the next free webinar. Learn from what I learned in the past decade. See you soon in the webinar!
Hello, I’m Luk Smeyers and I’m guiding consultants through the journey of growing their business by helping them transform into visible authorities. I have been in consulting businesses for almost 20 years, in very different roles: as European CHRO in a global consultancy, as a startup founder in an analytics consultancy, and as a leader in a 'Big 4' consultancy, post-acquisition of the startup. I had the privilege of achieving global visibility as a consultant and I never had to sell, persuade, or negotiate as a result. I have now bundled all those experiences, expertise, know-how, research, reading, successes, struggles, and failures from managing and growing that visibility in the past years.