Symptoms of Poor Positioning as a Consultant and What You Can Do about It (Webinar Summary October 2021)
On the 13th of October, 2021, I hosted the sixth webinar in my series titled Symptoms of Poor Positioning as a Consultant and What You Can Do about It.
This topic is crucial to my work with consultants. I see every single day how hard-working, incredibly knowledgable and experienced consultants struggle to recruit new clients in a systematic way or attracting clients they have to make compromises for. So many of these instances boil down to their positioning on the market.
You see, positioning is not just a feel-good concept. It's what defines the parameters of your work, what determines the kind of audience that finds your messaging appealing. It's the foundation of your consulting business. That's why, in this webinar, I run the attendees through various mistakes I see consultants make with their positioning as well as some practical tips to address those issues.
If you didn't have a chance to attend the webinar, I've put together the resources that you can still benefit from:
1. Access to slides and the recording
- Download the slides here
- Watch the recording below
2. Here's a short summary of what I talked about
Sales success in consulting is a side-effect of doing these things extremely well...
- Getting rid of symptoms of weak positioning
- Deal with your underlying challenges (FOMO, Ego, Pleaser,...)
- Priorities: Strategic narrative, body of work, email list, sharing
- Expertise: repeat, study the patterns, go deep
- Specific audience, specific problem, specific approach
- Positioning: never, ever leave your lane!
3. These were the articles/resources I referred to
- My article about how I was able to grow my consulting business without having to sell or negotiate my services: I Never Had To Sell, Persuade Or Negotiate To Grow My Consulting Business
- My article about packaging or productizing your consulting interventions: Regain Control as a Consultant by Packaging Your Services
- My article about the root cause of a time problem that most consultants experience: You Will Always Have a Time Problem as a Consultant Until You Do This
- My article about the importance of positioning to attract your ideal clients: As A Consultant, You Always Attract What You Are, Not What You Want
- My LinkedIn Post about my quality of life as a starting point of my everyday work: I only work 4 days a week4
4. This was the technology I used (disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with these applications at all)
- My business runs on the Hubspot platform
- I used Zoom, the webinar solution (is not the meeting solution)
- My sketches were made with the Notability app on my iPad
5. My newsletter I talked about
- Here's access to the latest version of my newsletter
And if you haven't done already, subscribe for the next free webinar. Learn from what I learned in the past decade. See you soon in the webinar!
Hello, I’m Luk Smeyers, and I’m guiding consulting firms through the journey of growing their business by helping them transform into go-to experts in their market. I have been in consulting businesses for almost 20 years, in very different roles: as European CHRO in a global consultancy, as a startup founder in an analytics consultancy, and as a leader in a 'Big 4' consultancy, post-acquisition of the startup. I had the privilege of achieving global visibility as a consultant and I never had to sell, persuade, or negotiate as a result. I have now bundled all those experiences, expertise, know-how, research, reading, successes, struggles, and failures from managing and growing that visibility in the past years.