My 2021 Learnings (Webinar Summary January 2022)
On the 12th of January, 2022, I hosted the eighth webinar in my series, titled My 2021 Learnings.
In this session, I reviewed the state of the consulting world: the trends, the challenges, and the opportunities.
I believe that the consulting world has been changing for a while and many of these changes – putting emphasis on the digital, for example – got accelerated over the past year.
In this webinar, I dive into how business development in the world of consulting has changed forever. I also explain my 13 main learnings from the year.
If you didn't have a chance to attend the webinar, I've put together the resources that you can still benefit from:
1. Access to slides and the recording
- Download the slides here
- Watch the recording below
2. Here's a short summary of what I talked about
- There are a lot of consulting opportunities out there!
- But you need to get ‘included in the homework of the buyer’
- Learn from the Authority-Led Square: 1) Positioning, 2) Visibility, 3) Social Proof, 4) Network in the PPT
- Focus → laser-sharp positioning is critical for consulting – Specific audience, prototypical pain, specific approach
- Staying in your lane, say NO to non-ideal clients/projects
- Mind your FOMO, EGO, pleasing syndrome, time as time
- Get included in the buyers’ homework
- Body of work → trust stuff
- Share, share, share
- Business development-based value sharing
My 2021 learnings include:
- Authority-Led: the square
- FOMO or NAMO
- Laser-sharp Positioning
- Get rid of the inside view
- Specialization is key
- Sharing expertise: trust!
- The evil RFP? Maybe!
- Help, we have bad clients!
- OMG, we don’t have time!
- Outbound doesn’t work
- Lack of data is bad
- Referral by design!
- Authority delegation doesn’t work
3. These were the articles/resources I referred to
- My article about evaluating your positioning as a consultancy/consultant: Why You Should Reverse-Engineer Your Consulting Service Offering
- My article about using email as a business development tool: Building an Email List Is Your Ultimate Trust Weapon as a Consultant
- My article about how I used thought leadership to consistently grow my consulting business: I Never Had To Sell, Persuade Or Negotiate To Grow My Consulting Business
- My article listing all the important reasons to openly share your knowledge: Why You Should Share Your Expertise To Grow Your Consulting Business
- The BTG 2021 Skills Index that lists the most in-demand and fastest growing skills fueling economic recovery
- Edition #41 of my newsletter - The Authority
4. This was the technology I used (disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with these applications at all)
- My business runs on the Hubspot platform
- I used Zoom, the webinar solution (is not the meeting solution)
- My sketches were made with the Notability app on my iPad
5. My newsletter I talked about
- Here's access to the latest version of my newsletter
Hello, I’m Luk Smeyers, and I’m guiding consulting firms through the journey of growing their business by helping them transform into go-to experts in their market. I have been in consulting businesses for almost 20 years, in very different roles: as European CHRO in a global consultancy, as a startup founder in an analytics consultancy, and as a leader in a 'Big 4' consultancy, post-acquisition of the startup. I had the privilege of achieving global visibility as a consultant and I never had to sell, persuade, or negotiate as a result. I have now bundled all those experiences, expertise, know-how, research, reading, successes, struggles, and failures from managing and growing that visibility in the past years.