If You Don't Like Selling in Consulting, You Are Doing It the Wrong Way (Webinar Summary April 2021)
On the 14th of April, 2021, I hosted a webinar titled If You Don't Like Selling in Consulting, You Are Doing It the Wrong Way.
The goal of this free webinar was to help consultants re-define what it means to sell as a consultant and provide a step-by-step guide to organically growing their business through a smart, consistent approach to sales and marketing.
Selling in consulting is not about picking up the phone and cold-calling potential clients. Growing your consulting is about consistently improving your visibility as a subject matter expert and build the trust in your expertise.
If you didn't have a chance to attend the webinar, I've put together the resources that you can still benefit from:
1. Access to slides and the recording
- Download the slides here
- Watch the recording below
2. Here's a short summary of what I talked about
- Marketing & Sales in consulting is all about building visibility & trust
- Sales in consulting is a 'side effect', it emerges from doing ‘other things’ well
- Marketing and Sales is not separate from you, as consultants we ARE the marketers of our expertise
- We can't sit there and wait (even with a beautiful website), nobody will come across of our services
- The new archetype: we need to get in the anti-selling mindset and become a 'Giver' (Adam Grant) or a 'Baker' (Guy Kawasaki)
- Getting visible and building trust: there’s no hack, it takes time and you will face ups & downs
3. These were the books I referred to during the webinar
(the hyperlinks are referring to summaries of those books in my book blogs)
- 'Give and Take' by Adam Grant
- The resources from the previous webinar: 'Fire your clients, you cannot grow as a consultant if you don't specialize'.
- My article explaining I never had to sell, persuade or negotiate as a consultant
- My article explaining why I openly shared all my learnings in the past decade
- My business runs on the Hubspot platform
- I used Zoom, the webinar solution (is not the meeting solution)
- My sketches were made with the Notability app on my iPad
- The Miro Co-Creation board I use for my virtual workshops
- Here's access to the latest version of my newsletter
And if you haven't done already, subscribe for the next free webinar. Learn from what I learned in the past decade. See you soon in the webinar!
Hello, I’m Luk Smeyers and I’m guiding consultants through the journey of growing their business by helping them transform into visible authorities. I have been in consulting businesses for almost 20 years, in very different roles: as European CHRO in a global consultancy, as a startup founder in an analytics consultancy, and as a leader in a 'Big 4' consultancy, post-acquisition of the startup. I had the privilege of achieving global visibility as a consultant and I never had to sell, persuade, or negotiate as a result. I have now bundled all those experiences, expertise, know-how, research, reading, successes, struggles, and failures from managing and growing that visibility in the past years.